VERSION 1.0 (6/8/16)
SECTION I: GENERAL/SETUP
Simulation Engine: Behind the Bench (hereafter referred to as BTB) will always use the most recent version of the Simon T Hockey Simulator. GMs will participate by using the free GM Client (download here) from STHS.
Initial League Alignment: BTB will cover both the NHL and the WHA. The initial alignment of the leagues will follow real history with subsequent expansions and contractions depending upon team performance as outlined below. See Section III below for more details.
Initial Player Dispersal: The league will begin with the roster with which it historically opened the 1972-73 season.
Prospects: Players will enter the league universe in the year in which they turned pro (generally around the age of 18). As we progress forward these players will form the annual rookie draft pool. The draft itself will be conducted on the league forum.
GM Participation: GMs are expected to regularly monitor their teams and take care of injured players and other roster issues by submitting exports with legal rosters and line assignments. Daily exports are not mandatory although you can certainly do so if you wish. It would also be considerate to let the commissioner know if you're going to be unable to participate for a time to prevent your team being assumed to be open and given to someone else. The league also will utilize Slack for real-time messaging as an addition to the forum and in place of emails for league communication. It is therefore important for the GMs to use Slack. Using Slack will allow GMs to conduct trade talks much more easily than through the forum and/or email.
SECTION II: PLAYERS
Roster Size: Historic roster rules will be in use for the season being simulated. In the event of a conflict in historic NHL and WHA rosters, the NHL roster size will be used.
Player Pool: The player pool will be comprised of all players active in the NHL, WHA, AHL, CHL, NAHL, or IHL who either previously or in the future, played in the NHL or WHA. European players will be added when they historically first played in one of the aforementioned North American leagues. Once a player is in the player pool, he remain there until he retires in the league.
Player Retention: Each league will utilize an internal reserve clause (meaning no free agency within the NHL for NHL teams and vice-versa with WHA teams). However, because the leagues were technically "at war" they will not respect the reserve clause of the other league. This means WHA teams may attempt to sign NHL players and vice-versa. Generally this will occur only when a player's contract is up. However, there is going to be a "raid" system (descrbed below) where players under contract may possibly be stolen from the other league.
Minor League Claim System: If a player is 25 years of age or older and did not appear in at least 5 of his club's top-level games he will be eligible to be claimed by another club within his league. Exceptions to this are if a player was injured for the entirety of a season. Claims may be made in the offseason and priority is given to teams based on the order of finish, worst-to-first, the previous season. This is not a draft, and each team may only claim one player in this fashion per season.
Random Free Agent (or Raid) System: Each year, all GMs will name three players as franchise players and assign a slot number of 1-20 for the next 20 players in terms of playing time. A state lottery game will determine which of these players becomes eligible to be signed as a free agent by the other league. If a player is not signed his rights return to his previous team. Players may only be franchised two years in a row and then must be exposed to the lottery at least once before being eligible to be franchise-protected again. This means the top players can theoretically be protected 4 out of every 5 seasons.
SECTION III: TEAMS
Expansion: Expansion may occur in 1974-75 if there are GMs on the waiting list. If two GMs are available, the NHL may add the Washington Capitals and Kansas City Scouts. If four GMs are available, the WHA will also expand, adding the Indianapolis Racers and Phoenix Roadrunners.
Relocation: GMs may elect to relocate their teams. In both leagues, if a team relocated historically the GM may elect to do so without regard to team performance. In other cases (non-historical relocation) each league has separate rules:
- NHL: If a team did not relocate the GM may elect to move it so long as it is not an Original Six team (O6 teams may not relocate), there is a historically open slot and it has either had declining attendance figures for each of the previous three seasons or has finished in the bottom three in revenue for the previous three seasons.
- WHA: Any team may relocate as long as there is a historically open slot and the team had a decline in attendance the previous season OR was in the bottom three among WHA teams in revenue.
Contraction: Both the NHL and WHA will also have contractions during the 1970s. Players from contracted teams will be dispersed via a special contraction draft. Teams will be contracted only when one or more GMs leave the league and a replacement is not available. When considering contraction, the following rules apply:
- Original Six teams can not be contracted
- All active teams, both NHL and WHA (except O6 as mentioned above) will be compared to determine the contracted team(s). The teams with the four lowest fan support numbers will be candidates for contraction. Each of the four will be assigned a state lottery game (Pick 3) and the four drawn numbers will be used to determine which team(s) fail to remain in the league.
Merger: At some point the NHL and WHA will merge. The earliest this can occur is 1977-78 and the latest it will occur is 1980-81. There will be a merger schedule as outlined below:
- 1977-78: 25% chance of merger. All active WHA teams eligible, contraction occurs prior to merger (should any GMs drop out during the offseason proceeding the merger)
- 1978-79: 50% chance of merger. Same scenario as above.
- 1979-80: 75% chance of merger. Same scenario as above
- 1980-81: 100% chance of merger with same same scenario as above.
- State lottery game will be used to determine the number used for whether or not merger occurs.
SECTION IV: DRAFT
Rookie Draft Pool: Players will appear in the rookie draft in the year they turned pro or were drafted by an NHL team (whichever occurs earlier). The WHA and NHL will draft from the same pool with one exception - the WHA may draft players at age 18 while the NHL will not draft anyone younger than 20. Players drafted by teams in both leagues will be awarded via lottery with odds based on the league with which the player historically signed. The historically signed league will have a 65% chance of signing the player and the other league will have a 35% chance. This should add a layer of luck/strategy to the draft - do you use a high pick on a guy you only have a 35% chance of getting? Various state and or provincial lotteries will be used to generate these results with each player's result coming from one unique state (so no two players will be based on the same lottery game).
Annual Draft: Prior to each season players newly added to the draft pool will be available via the rookie draft.
Draft Lottery: There will be no draft lottery. The chance of not getting that #1 pick (since they're likely going to be double-drafted) is chance enough.
The Howes: A special rule will be observed for the 1973 draft only. Whichever WHA team selects Mark Howe (18 years old and ineligible for the NHL draft) in the first round will also get Marty and their father Gordie Howe. Using this option will cost the team it's 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks in the 1973 draft. Still worth it for whichever team is willing to do it.
SECTION V: SIMULATION PARAMETERS
Season Length: Both the NHL and WHA will follow historical season lengths, divisional formats and schedules where possible.
Sim Length: Each sim session of the season will cover one week of the NHL/WHA season (measured Monday to Sunday) and will be held each weekday morning, typically between the hours of 6 am and 9 am Eastern time.
Game Rules: Appropriate rules for the era for each league will be in use. Where a conflict between NHL and WHA rules exists, NHL rules will be used.
Player Development: Player development will be based on a two-thirds historical rating and a one-third STHS prior season-based rerate using a player's potential rating. This will keep the players somewhat in line with their historical performance while allowing for some variance.
Player Retirement: Players will retire based on a chance-based system that accounts for the season in which they actually retired. Players automatically will remain active until they historically retired but may remain around longer if they survive a retirement check in STHS based on their age. This will keep players like Gordie Howe around as long as they were historically but also ensure that no one sticks around too long beyond his "expiration date" in real life.
The above rules are subject to revision based on experience, GM feedback, etc.